The 6th European Conference on Permafrost will take place in Puigcerdá, Spain, from 17 to 23 June 2023 and will be the first large conference fully dedicated to permafrost after the COVID-19 pandemic. The event will involve over 400 researchers and engineers from all around the world and will be a timely opportunity for the International Permafrost Association to consult with the community on the main needs for permafrost research. This Townhall Meeting will inform on the ICARPIV process, as well as on the European Polar Science Prioritization process that is being conducted with the organization of EU-PolarNet 2, and will aim at cross-feeding both initiatives, by receiving suggestions and comments from the Townhall Meeting participants. The outputs from this session, together with a follow up compiled through an online questionnaire, will be used to streamline the contribution of the IPA to the International Conference on Arctic Research Planning (ICARP IV), to take place in 2025, and also to consolidate the prioritization process of EU-PolarNet 2.
We look forward to receive EUCOP6 participants in this session and to have a discussion leading to fruitful contributions to the identification of the key permafrost research needs.
- Gonçalo Vieira, Vice-President of the IPA, University of Lisbon, Portugal
- Chris Burn, President of the IPA, Carleton University, Canada
- Carlo Barbante, Coordinator of the EU-PolarNet 2 Science Prioritization Process, University Ca’Foscari Venecia, Italy
- Hugues Lantuit, Coordinator of NUNATARYUK, Alfred Wegener Institute, Germany
Type of Activity:
- Townhall Meeting,
- Community Listening Session
Dates and Locations:
- 19 June 2023 | In-Person | Puigcerdà, Spain
Open / Closed Activity:
Open with limited attendance